Juneteenth celebrates the abolition of slavery in the United States after the Civil War. Two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas on June 19th, 1865, to enforce the emancipation of the enslaved. AUA believes it is important for all Americans to acknowledge and reflect on this crucial time in our history to continue to move toward A More Perfect Union.
AUA was honored to volunteer with Emancipation Park Conservancy to support the re-dedication of the recently completed 10-acre Emancipation Park in Houston as part of the Juneteeth weekend celebration. You can learn more about this historic park and history of the Juneteenth celebration here.
- Saturday, June 17th, 2017
- Meet at 8:30 am at the Emancipation Park (3018 Dowling St, Houston, TX 77004)
- 4 hr service activity scheduled for 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Programs – Pass out programs to visitors and advise event Monday
- Following our service activity please enjoy the celebration!
- The event is free and includes activities and entertainment for both children and adults
- More information about this event and other Juneteenth festivities at http://www.juneteenthfest.com/